Sunday, November 15, 2009

Crapping

AKA. Crafting.
I prefer the term crapping because most crafts really end up being just that. (This is one reason I loathe Crap Fairs.)
Anyhow, I have been needing to make things on a daily basis in order to feel like I'm contributing to my world.

My fb friend Katy Afruma turned me on to this book called "Handmade Home" by Amanda Soule that has some great ways to repurpose items you already have in your home that are old and ratty and need to be tossed or need a new life.
This book rocks. It not only has easy ideas, it gave me a few other repurposing ideas for my house.

Anyhow, I had some towels that were just coming apart on the edges, so I used her directions and made some awesome bathmats for when I am washing my rugs and I need to toss the kids in the tub.


One side is the towel and the other is some pretty cotton fabric I had with strips of the towel sewn onto it in whatever pattern I wanted.
It is awesome and they turned out really pretty!
Plus I made one in about 20 minutes, so I was happy and the kids didn't burn down the house.
Another bathmat I made for my downstairs bathroom that I never use but plan to one day when I clear it out better.




Today I took on a project I told myself I would finish by Thanksgiving.

We keep a lot of 5 gallon buckets in the kitchen with raw goods and the kids sit on them as chairs sometimes. But they look so ugly.

I made covers for all of them. I was going to do funky prints, but I decided to go boring for now and then over time I'll sub in a fun print on one of two (I made 6--- well 7 so I had a spare cover--- after all).

It took me about an hour to make all 7 and I just made up the design really quick so they aren't anything amazing but they are sleek and easy to use so I am happy.


I actually ironed them but they still look all wrinkly, argh!

Anyhow, that was my crapping for the weekend. I also repurposed some washrags and made pot holders, but those will be for anther post...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: