Friday, December 18, 2009

Snickersnaps

I was hunting for a recipe for fantastic gingerbread cookies the other day and of course, Facebook was there for me.

While I am still tweaking the recipe a bit, it has become the cookie of choice in this household.


I like to make them really really big!
The boys were very happy to show off their cookies.
Xander was so funny eating, he was "mmmmmm"ing the entire time.

Buddy told me to take his picture while he was a "cool model guy".
Methinks someone has been watching Zoolander behind my back (or just spending too much time with his dad, one of the two).

Thank you to Kathy Stanger for the orginal recipe. I wanted to experiment so I added a few things here and there.

First:
Original (which is really good)

1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cloves
2 tsp ginger


Second:
My tweaks

1 cup shortening softened
1/2 cup butter (1 cube) not so soft
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 plus 1 tbs molasses
2 cups whole wheat flour
2-3 cups all purpose flour (your call, but I like more myself)
2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
2 and a pinch tsp cloves
2 and a pinch or so tsp ginger
1/2 cup brown sugar



For BOTH recipes:

preheat oven at 375

mix first 3 ingredients together until creamy, add rest

roll into balls and dip in sugar

bake 10 ish minutes until golden

(This make AWESOME giant cookies btw)

I think they taste better less done and are softer that way too. Less flour will also make them softer I've noticed.

Enjoy



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment