Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Who rescues the rescuers?

We had a tragic event over the weekend in our area.

In the interest of maintaining people's privacy I won't go into any details, but it was very tragic and I truly hope a happy ending occurs.

I've seen a lot of prayers for the victim and their family which is of course so wonderful and so needed.

But, with the unique perspective I have when it comes to things like this, I often wonder, who is praying for those who did the saving (or tried to save whatever the case may be)?

When terrible things happen, someone has to play the role of savior. Sometimes a lot of people do.
Does anyone pray for them, for their hurting hearts as they can be traumatized by what they saw and had to do?
Does anyone pray for the good samaritans who don't ask to be put in the situations, but when thrust into the fray act courageously?
Does anyone pray for the first responders, those who are trained for this role, yes, but who go through these tragic moments, these worst moments of somebody's life and then need to walk away from to and go on to the next worst moment of someone's life?

Does anyone pray for their sanity, their wounded hearts, their ability to bear the burden of what they did to save (or at least attempt to save) another person, or do we forget?

I hope you don't forget.
I haven't.

They aren't in a hospital bed or worse, true. They have no visible scars, but they are still often the "walking wounded" and are in need of prayers too. They are the ones I worry about after the victim. They are the ones who are too often forgotten, those rescuers among us, in uniform and not. When you send a prayer for the victim, don't forget one for the one(s) who came to the rescue too.

I hope everyone affected heals from this tragedy.

(And note that I don't want to push aside the victims because they obviously are in the need of the most focus, but I just want people to remember that all who try to help others are often traumatized also and need prayers and love too.)

1 comment:

  1. I never really considered this until Ben came home distraught the first time one of his patients died. When there's a tragedy you think of the victim (or patient), the family and friends. But there is a whole team of individuals who may have no past connection with the individual, no future contact, but they are part of that tragic moment or event. And what's more, they're there for EVERY tragic moment and event that community has to offer. I now pray for the rescuers.

    ReplyDelete