Friday, September 17, 2010

The asked for soap recipe

***Many of you asked for the recipe Sambo used to make his soap the other day. He spent over an hour neglecting our children while I taught piano writing this out. I hope our sacrifices make your day, hee hee. I have not edited this at all, he really is this odd.***



So, as a few of you already know when I get an earthy, self suficient, skill in my head, I spend a lot of time becoming proficient in it so that I may more adequately morph myself into my own superhero that focuses on clean, selfsuficient living and uses his knowlege of alternatives to industry to combat evill and bring justice to his community. I shall call him "Grub Song."

This last skill I have decided to master was Soap Making.

I made soap a few times years ago but never really perfected it, and decided now was the time in my life to to become proficient in the purveyance of sudsery.

So in my research I found that some of the common fats used to make vegetable based soaps are soybean, cotton seed, flax, coconut oil, and palm oil.  Olive oil is common as well but has a tendancy, without other oils, to make a rather slimmy lather. This is not desirable to Grub Song.

I also wanted to make sure that the recipe I chose was rather fool proof, cost effiecient, and made a good quality hard bar of soap.

Enter Crisco. Yes, the vegetable lard you bake and fry with.. guess what it is made of......Hydrogenated soybean oil, stabalized with approximately 20% cotton seed oil, and 15% palm oil. This is desirable to Grub Song.

So here is the recipe that makes a good hard bar of white lathery soap that, with the right essential oils, will cut through the stink of any flower child, or hippy clown. Grub Song chose sandalwood, lavender and bergamont this time around.

3lbs of Crisco = one standard tub of it
6 oz of Lye = sodium hydroxide(caustic soda)
16 oz of water = liquid composed of one hydrogen atom electro-chemicaly bonded to two oxegen atoms.

Disolve the lye into the water and set aside to cool. Melt the tub of crisco. Let both cool until they are between 100 and 120 degrees F. Pour the lye water into the oil and mix. Continue to stir until mixture comes to trace and then you add the smell goods or other additives. Grub Song believes that squirrel talons would be a good abrasive. This recipe does come to trace and sets rather quickly. Some practice may be needed in your times for pouring into molds. Cover and insulate for about 24 hours. At this time Grub Song recomends you cut into bars and cure the soap for 4 to 6 weeks to let the free lye to fully mellow. If you do not let it cure you may wash a layer of skin off. This is not desirable to Grub Song.

So here is the run down.
The average price of a tub of crisco is about 4.00. The lye was 4.89  for 16 oz. The water was free and I spent a bout two hours doing this. 4.00+1.80 equals 5.80 for approximately 30 bars of genuine, made off the grid, stick it to Walmart, soap. Thats .19 a bar. This is desirable to Grub Song.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. Where are the pictures of the finished product?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. I almost want to try it. What did you use for soap molds? How much essential oils do you add? And what does it mean to "come to trace?" Oh, and where do you buy lye? I'll stop with the questions now.

    ReplyDelete