Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fear not, Little Flock

I was reading the Ensign the other day and a piece of text jumped out at me before I even had a chance to read the article.


Fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.

-Doctrine and Covenants 6:34
 
It seemed totally random to me, yet it just sat with me and had come to my mind on a regular basis ever since. I'm not entirely sure what that piece of scripture is trying to tell me, but I do know that it is a bit of comfort to me right now.
 
Have you ever stood in front of a window and watched a storm? I mean, a really scary storm. Things are blowing around, the trees are bending to their breaking point (and for some beyond it), it is loud outside and your house even shudders a bit. Even if you are safe and warm in your cozy house, that storm is scary. It sometimes feels like it may blow you right down if it gets a chance. 
 
I've had that feeling lately. I'm standing in my safe little house with this family I love so much and I am watching a mighty storm toss around too many people I know. Some were caught up in the storm on accident and some appear to have walked outside and shouted into the wind, "here I am! Blow me away!" 
Of course, the winds have obliged. 
Either way, I am seeing these people; good people being blown about, hurt and for some I fear destroyed by this storm.
 
It is frightening to watch. Standing here in my safe, quiet peaceful home I start to quake because I am afraid I'm going to get blown away too.
 
And then I read this scripture again:
 
Fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.

-Doctrine and Covenants 6:34
 
I can't be afraid. This little flock, our little family of Sambo's and mine... we have a solid rock underneath us. 
 
I was just teaching my primary kids "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man". I'm sure you've heard it... the wise man built his house upon the rock... the rain came tumbling down... and the house on the rock stood still. The foolish man built his house upon the sand... the rain came tumbling down... and the house on the sand washed away.
 
Our home, the values we instill in our kids, our relationship and of course our faith is the rock this home is built on. Our little flock of family here do not need to be afraid because we are standing on the safe, solid ground and we can't be washed away. I'm not daring the storm to come, but I know I'm safe in this house when it does inevitably start blowing once again.
 
I know over time if we keep our home, our family set firmly on this rock, the high ground; if we continue to do good to others and if we stay together the winds and rain and other nasty storms of life can wail against our doors; can rattle the windows... but they can't come in and bluster and blow us around.
 
And yet... I watch the storm around us and I wish it would move on.
 
(I'd love your thoughts on this scripture, but if you want you can email instead. Even if you aren't the same faith as me or don't consider yourself a person of faith... I bet you have insight and I'd love to benefit from it.) 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Kimber. Now I'm gonna have that phrase of scripture jumping out at me, too.

    ReplyDelete