Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cream of Celery Soup Recipe

I think I just made something awesome.

I need to keep this recipe for future use.
Also, serious gratitude to Bountiful Baskets for the multitude of celery this week and last week. I had 2 baskets this week and ended up with 5 bunches of celery and a seriously over stuffed fridge so I had to create something I have been wanting to try for years now.

I give you... my cream of celery soup.

Now I kind of looked at a few different recipes and then I just made up what felt right so, yeah.

Kimber's Cream of Celery Soup

1/2 onion, chopped rough
Garlic to taste (I used a tea spoon of prediced garlic)
A dollop of butter

Take all of that and cook it up in a frying pan until it is all clear and pretty.

While you are doing that take about 3 bunches of celery and chop them up. Don't worry about little pieces, mine were about 1 inch because I'm lazy like that.

Put the celery in a big ol' pot and fill it up with water. Tons of water. Seriously.

Then dump in the onion and garlic and any juices that were in there. Yum.

Put a lid on this now FULL pot and turn a burner on high.
Salt and pepper as you see fit.

Let it boil for a few minutes and then take it to a nice simmer and ignore it for about a half hour.

After the half hour get a colander and put it in a big bowl and dump the soup into that. Now  you have a bowl of liquid that you will want later and your celery and onion goodness.

Put the celery etc in your blender/food processer and blend it to a goo. Put some of the set aside liquid in if you need to.

Once it is nice and creamified, put it back in your pot and dump nearly all of the set aside liquid in with it. The extra liquid is to go in a container or baggie that has been labeled "vegetable stock" for the next time you need that particular ingredient. You are welcome.

Get a can of evaporated milk and dump it into your pot.

Put all that back on a burner and turn it to medium heat and mix it up. Season some more if you want to. Sam put cayenne in it and we were happy about that.

Eat.

It rocked. Very runny, very awesome. I want to can it to use when I have recipes that require a cream soup base.

No comments:

Post a Comment