Friday, March 9, 2012

Gonna Go Paleoooooooo!

Time to try heading down a new path on our food journey.

I think I've talked about it here and there (and there and there and there), but we have been slowly working to improve our eating habits over the past few years.

First we got our food storage (Yay for a year supply of food!).
Then we started doing Bountiful Baskets (Yay for affordable produce!).
Then we watched "Food Inc." and didn't sleep for a week (Yay for awareness and BOO for the nightmares.).



Then we changed our game.

We switched where we bought our meat.
We switched the brand of dairy we buy.
Both of these are now local and hormone and antibiotic free.
We started getting farm eggs (and still need a more consistent source)
I gave up couponing.
Sam took up canning everything he could think of.
He also became an herbalist.
We all took up smoothies every day and especially green smoothies in Sam's case (the rest of us are getting better at it.)
We pulled more processed foods out and started really guarding ourselves from the dyes in foods.

I felt like we were doing good. Really, we are. I'm seeing a lot of positive results in all of us and we're happy.

But I want to go a little bit further.

So, after reading and talking to friends and dipping our toes in it, I've decided to drag the family with me as we try to to Paleo!

What is Paleo eating?
THIS WEBSITE has a lot of great info.

Here is some I copied and pasted from their site:




 The Paleo diet is based upon the idea of eating the foods our bodies were designed for through thousands of years of evolution. These foods were available to early people through hunting and gathering [meat and fish, nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables].
During modern times, advances in technology have made other forms of food available for consumption [grains, dairy, and processed foods], which are suboptimal forms of nutrition. The foods recommended in the Paleo diet provide our bodies with long-lasting energy that also aid in burning fat.

What is the difference between Paleo and Primal?

‘Primal’ generally refers to Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint way of eating which is very similar to Paleo, but allows some leeway with certain types of dairy and has fewer restrictions on saturated fat intake. Throughout this book, we use “Paleo” and “Primal” as interchangeable terms. Generally speaking, the Paleo Diet is a high protein, moderate fat diet, and the Primal Blueprint is considered to be a high fat, moderate protein diet.
Many people who follow this way of eating consider the terms to be one and the same. How ever you personally decide to “title” the ancestral diet that you abide by, both stem from the core principle of eating the foods our bodies were designed to eat: plants and animals.

Enjoy

Avoid

Grains
Legumes
Dairy
Processed Foods
Alcohol
Starches










A lot of this is easy for us. We don't drink alcohol, we have been avoiding processed foods so this is just a doubling our resolve to avoid them, Sam has been slowly getting us away from dairy (but I won't lie, I can't just eliminate it 100% right now), really this is where we are heading at this point anyhow.
I'm having a hard time with less grains and legumes, but I'm working on balancing it out.
We get a lot of produce from BB every week and we USE it.
We know how to eat right, we just need to keep it fresh and from scratch.

The key for us is gradually shifting, being okay with not going 100% Paleo but LEANING more that way and avoiding processed foods. I can't be that strict and be 100% right now, but I do want to lean really heavily that way, like to the point I nearly tip over. But I don't. Moderation in all things, yes? YES.

This new eating thing...it is different and it will make some people think we are insane.
Well, we wear shoes with individual toes, tie our kids to us and educate them at home and drink smoothies with vegetation from our yard so, I think people already thing we are crazycakes. I'm cool with it.

It will also help us feel even better than we do now and it will teach our kid to have healthy eating habits and not rely on sugar to get us through the day.

Right now I'm working to stop drinking pop 100% and next I get rid of candy. Whew.
This month we are on a no fast food at all goal also. That will be pretty easy for us because we try to avoid it anyhow, but I noticed we were slipping back into fast food again after the holidays so it is time to remind ourselves that we don't want that stuff in our systems.

Once I succeed in kicking pop and candy to the curb I want to get this shirt:




So, if you see me over the next few months, don't feel bad about eating that treat or having that soda in front of me, but if you catch me with one in my hands, feel free to take my treat away. I feel like I rely on sugar way too much and I want to be the boss of it, not vice versa.

1 comment:

  1. I love your life. I love where you live and how you live. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete