Sunday, June 24, 2012

Gooey Eggs

Isn't it funny how mundane things become really important moments in life?

Take tonight.

It has been a long day.
I realized early on that the insanity of this month has finally caught up to me and I've become a bit of a weepy mess.

There were some hard moments, but actually the month had a lot more exciting and wonderful events occur.
(I promise I'll tell you all about them, one at a time and in painfully great detail... as soon as I have the time to process all of it and as soon as I have some fun pictures off my camera to go with them.)

However, the problem with all these hard AND wonderful events is that they were all just highs and lows in emotions plus nearly all of them were unexpected and frankly, on a good day I hate suprises, so a month of surprises has taken me to Crazytown a few times.

Anyhow, so, today.
Sam was working so the kids and I went to church, which would normally be great, but I just could not get my head in the game and my kids were being *just* naughty enough that it set me off in the first 5 minutes and I hauled them all out to the car, drove them home and then sat in the driveway to have a good long cry.

After I had gotten myself back together, we went back to church and I made it another hour, but then I found myself weeping like a total sissy again so I retrieved the herd, came home and had another nice cry fest.
(People, this is what happens when you surprise me with stuff. I cry. A lot. And I'm not a pretty crier so really, for the sake of everyone, please, please ALWAYS give me fair warning in news both good and bad and we'll all survive without a flood.)

Anyhow, I used that weep-a-thon to my advantage and I cleaned the boys' room and organized all their summer clothes, did the laundry and straightened my room.

Boring.

The early evening was much of the same. Hot, cranky kids, hot cranky parents.
Sam and I went on our run.
We're on week 5 of the couch to 5k program (google c25k for deets) and it was HARD.
(We had to start over when I hurt my ankles so we're a few weeks behind where I wish we were. Oh well.)

I wanted to quit, but I was glad I didn't.

Anyhow, then we put the herd to bed.
Or, at least we tried.
Buddy and Oz passed right out.

Xander and Belle... not so much.

Either way, come 10pm I realized I didn't eat dinner and I was starving and pretzels were not going to cut it.
So, I pulled out some yummy eggs (farm fresh from down the road... they even deliver to me and only $1.75 a dozen in nice cartons each time!) and started making myself some eggs over easy.

I down my first egg and look up to see Xander hovering by the kitchen.
Of course, he is claiming to want a hug good night and that is all, but I knew the truth.
I asked him what he wanted and he said, "is that a gooey egg mom? I sure love those gooey eggs you make."


(Not my picture, my eggs never look that nice.)

So, the boy got his own gooey egg.

A few minutes later Belle wandered in too and was trying not to stare at X and my snack.
Finally she said, "my stomach is getting hungry."
So, I made her a NOT gooey egg. She isn't into the goo.

The three of us ate our eggs pretty happily, we talked about nothing very important and when we had licked our plates clean (Xander takes that to heart) we all wandered back to bed.

It made me realize something.
Life is full of ups and downs.
Nothing ever goes exactly as planned.
For a girl who loves consistency and know what lies ahead in the road, that can make for some serious anxiety sometimes.

But, I'm forgetting something very important.

No matter what is happening regarding the ins and outs of my life, no matter what the outside world brings... I always have my little herd who will love me and eat gooey (and not gooey) eggs with me at 10pm.

Might be silly, but that brings me serious joy tonight.
The full belly is helping with that too.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. Love it. Such a great reminder about the really important things in life. <3 Thanks, Kimber! And I hope your crying was for good things today. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wish "Crazytown" on anyone, but sure glad I'm not the only one that's been going there lately!!! PS Would attending this event be of interest to you? If so would you be more intersted in paying for it and going with no worries (in IF or Rigby) or would you be interested in being on a 'Retreat Committee' where there's some work and a huge discount? http://powerofmoms.com/empowering-opportunities/retreats/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love you, Kimberlina, and these glimpses of your life. I wish my family was a part of your day-to-day! (Okay, maybe week-to-week. You might not be able to take us day-to-day!)

    ReplyDelete