Sunday, November 18, 2012

Gluten Free Baking Attempts: Bread From a Mix and Cookies From Scratch

So, I've been dying to try baking bread for Sam. He has been jonesing for bread constantly and the stuff in the store just isn't that awesome.

I bought some flour that was gluten free from a local place but, there were some... hicccups with connecting with the company to get the product (don't ask, I am trying to move past my frustration because the products are really good) so I was pretty darn frustrated.

Our friend who knew how Sam was wanting bread and how cranky pants I was about not being able to bake did something really sweet and picked up a small fortune in gf baking goods and gave them to us so I could bake. THANK YOU.

I immediately tried to bake a loaf of bread.
This is the Bob's Red Mill Favorite Bread Mix.

I followed the directions as close to exactly as my brain would let me (I struggle with the eggwhite only thing all the time, just going to be honest there).

Here is what came out of the oven:

Okay, I know.
Ugly.

But, Sam said it was better than the store stuff and he liked the texture a lot so I was happy.

Later that day I wanted to try again so I found a flourless cookie recipe to make while Miss B was sleeping. (Remember my friend's baby that I get to hang with on Wednesdays? Her)
Oooh, half eaten cookie.

Check out the kids with this cookies. Miss B was offended that she didn't get one too. Sorry kiddo.
The cookie recipe was pretty easy. Got it on pinterest but now I can't find the original source so I'm writing down what I did and I'm sorry I'm not crediting who came up with it.

3 cups powdered sugar
1 bag of milk chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract


Take the whites and whip them until they are all stiff, like you do for divinity and whatnot.

Take most of the chocolate chips and melt them in the microwave or however you want. They just have to be pretty runny.


There were a bunch of complicated steps next but I was in a hurry so I just dumped it all in and mixed it up.


The I scooped it into balls (spoonful size), rolled them in some powdered sugar and plopped it on a greased pan and baked it at 350 for 11 minutes. After it came out I let the cookies rest on the pan for 5 minutes then I put them on the cooling rack.


It was pretty easy.


It wasn't really cookie texture but it was good.


Overall I was happy with my attempts but I need to work a lot harder to really get the hang of a new way to bake. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment