Friday, November 30, 2012

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies from Scratch



I also finally made cookies from scratch that were gluten free and pretty much tasted and felt the same as when I have made these cookies in the past!

This is a family recipe we have loved forever and I think they are the best sugar cookies in the world.

Grandma's Orange Sugar Cookies (orange optional)

1 cup oil
1 cup butter (you can use margarine but yuck)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup regular sugar
2 eggs (I think 3 would help when you go gluten free)
4 1/4 cups flour (I used an all purpose gf flour blend cup for cup)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Now you should let this chill an hour but I never do. I roll into quarter size balls, fork the top to squish them and then I bake at 375 for 7 minutes (go a bit longer if you want but the key is to NOT brown the top. the bottom can be a bit brown but the top cant. They will be soft this way and crunchy otherwise. I like them soft.)

That is it.

Now for the orange frosting:

I never measure this so sorry.

Toss some powdered sugar in a bowl. Squeeze an orange or other citrus in and then a little milk. You can zest the orange too and toss it in. That is good. Mix it and frost cooled cookies. The end.

Like I said, these came out a touch crumbly with the gf flour but I think that can be tweaked. I'll update when I try it.


No comments:

Post a Comment