Friday, November 30, 2012

Homemade Hamburger Helper (Gluten Free too!)


Okay, this was awesome.

I was bored and tired and didn't want to make anything fancy last night and I really wanted BAD food, like Hamburger Helper.

Of course we haven't had that in years. Between the msg, autolyzed yeast  extract and now the gluten-tastic noodles... just not for us to eat.

But, then I realized I could make it on my own.

Here is what I did:

I poured about 2 cups of rice noodles (cheap noodles in the bulk section of our local Winco, not quality fancy noodle, but are the dinner in a box noodles ever that fancy?) and let that sit, no water, for a bit. I didn't have to do it that way, I could have poured them into the concoction but I just felt like doing it this way.

Then I defrosted my burger and cooked it up. I didn't drain because I couldn't find much grease left to drain (we buy really good beef at a local butcher) so I just added about a cup of water then half a regular size container of sour cream. After that I added salt and pepper to taste, a little milk when I thought I needed more liquid and 2 cups of shredded cheese.

Once the burger was cooked up and I was about to add stuff I boiled my noodles. Again, I was using a pot I didn't need to, but I just felt like it. In the end when I combined it all it was ready faster than it would have been so I was happy.

It was awesome. Honestly, better than HH and so easy to make.

This could work with rice or sliced up spuds too. I'm a big fan of using whatever is in my fridge so that was why I went cheesy. However, I found a link with many other homemade HH ideas HERE. Lots of dairy free, or this and that free ideas to try.

You can even package the dry ingredients in advance and have some awesome convenience foods!

This was so good Sam ate 2nds of it. Since he hasn't had anything HH like in over a decade I'm thinking he liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment