Thursday, December 6, 2012

Gluten Free Baking Victory! Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars

Okay, so I found this recipe on Pinterest and I just KNEW I could adapt it to gluten free.

This is the link to the original recipe because this gal deserves the credit for posting an amazing recipe.
CLICK HERE

This is the recipe the way I made it so it would be gluten free. Honestly, I just added 1 egg and I used Pamela's All Purpose (or pancake or whatever it was) Gluten Free Flour. I think any form of gf ap flour will work, but that is what I used specifically.

These were incredible and moist and chewy for DAYS. So good. I plan to make them often and if we don't burn through them I plan to freeze them for days I don't want to bake. Honestly, amazing. Sam was so happy when I made these.

Here you go:

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars
1 1/2 C All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (I used Pamela's but I think you can use other ones easily)
1¼ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Baking Soda
¾ C Butter
¾ C Sugar
¾ C Brown Sugar
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 C Creamy Peanut Butter (split)
3 Eggs
1 ½ C Quick Oats
Frosting:
½ C Butter (1 stick)
3 ½ C Powdered Sugar
2 T Cocoa
¼ C Milk (I use whatever I have in the fridge)
1 tsp. Vanilla
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, 3/4 C peanut butter, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Then, stir in the oats. Spread onto a greased 11 x 15 Jelly Roll Pan (cookie sheet). Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.

The frosting is a two step process. First, whip the remaning ¾ C Creamy Peanut Butter until it becomes lighter colored and fluffy. Carefully spread the whipped peanut butter over the pan cookie.

Then, add butter to a small sauce pan and melt the butter. Add the milk and cocoa. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Heat just until boiling. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Then, gradually add the powdered sugar. Stir until thickened. Pour over the peanut butter and gently spread over the cookie. Cool completely, and slice into bar cookies.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I was thinking with all of the oats, this probably wouldn't be too hard to make gf. Great for you! I'm so happy that your family enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you use to replace the powdered sugar? Usually powdered sugar has a bit of white flour in it. Or at least the 1 that I am used to using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I pinned the original recipe above that's not Gf and I was salivating over it and read your comment and came here!!! So happy!!! Now I can have them!

    About powdered sugar, I make my own because I eliminated white sugar from our diet. You can just use coconut sugar or whatever sugar you use and blend it until fine. Sometimes adding in arrowroot or corn starch. If you google homemade powdered sugar you'll gets tons of results. :):):)

    ReplyDelete