Monday, April 29, 2013

Puzzles as a Form of Child Torture

The true mark of a good parent is being able to torture your child with a TOY.

I am the master.

Sometimes (okay, all the time) when I teach piano, Buddy and Xander decide to argue with each other, with Isabelle, with Oz, with inanimate objects... it is annoying to say the least.

The thing is, if I divide the kids, I conquer them and my lessons can go by with very little noise or interruption from those bedlamites.

However, it is hard to come up with things to do when I do separate the kids because whoever ends up with me (always Buddy and/or Xander) just spends the time interrupting me even more. Argh.

So, I came up with a plan.

Puzzles.

I thought they boys would enjoy doing puzzles. They are toys! They are fun.

I was wrong!

Buddy cried and moaned and writhed like I was beating him to death and Xander whined and squealed like a little piggy until they both got the look of DOOM that I have perfected for such occasions. They decided to suck it up (buttercup) and just do their puzzles.

Not too bad.

I realized this is a great way to make them use their brains without them realizing it, plus they aren't watching tv or playing wii or asking me if they can watch tv or play wii. Bonus.

Thus began our new daily tradition of doing puzzles during piano or whenever we start to torture mom.
This was a hard one. We were missing half the puzzle.
Henry thought that was lame.
They boys play really nicely while they do the puzzles too and that is fabulous.
They get to pick their puzzle.
Buddy picked puzzle flash cards on this day.
Sure, why not?
This was a hundred piece puzzle and it was fun.
No, really. It was fun.

Henry says it was fun!
They like the easier puzzles the best, but they'll grow to love the harder ones.
Even Belle and Ozzy have fun with puzzles!

So, if you want to make your kids miserable, give them a puzzle and enjoy the show. I certainly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment