Monday, December 30, 2013

Seize the Day

And there it is.

I have been looking all over for the theme of 2014 and, thanks to all sorts of hijinks, some coinkydinks and a profanity laced article that kicked my soul in the right direction, I finally found it.

Yes.

First, a video to introduce the theme. Please do enjoy:



I know. I invoked Newsies.

Wanna hear a secret?
I've sung this song (and loved it) but I've never actually seen the movie. I am assuming it is about a bunch of newspaper delivery boys who moonlight as Riverdancers. I'm afraid to watch it in case I'm wrong.

Anywho....

This is the year I SEIZE THE DAY.

Yes.

What does this mean? Don't I do that already? Seriously, never watched Newsies?

All good questions.

This is what it means for me.

It is time to do things I've always wanted to do. I may fail. Odds are I'll flop spectacularly more than once, but that is part of the fun. I'll also succeed occasionally and that will be just as big a surprise to me as it will be to all of you. I'm going to do fun things, scary things, hard things, easy things, fast things, silly things, dumb things, important things and anything else that feels like I should be in on.

I've already got a few things lined up for this moment. Check out my bucket list to see my ideas as they grow over the year and you can watch for when I check those things off. (Upper part of this blog, towards the corner. Just click that link.)

First thing I'm going to do is "break up" with this town. I love it here, I love the people and I want to make it awesome. I read a quote recently that said, "Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others."
Ouch.
I never thought of it that way. With that in mind, I'm going to keep on going and doing things that I love, but I'm going to quit trying to change this town. It will change if and when it decides to and in the meantime I can break up and just be friends. Good plan.

Here is something else I'm doing that I've wanted to do for years. I'm going to be in a play with Sam. Not just any play, but one I've wanted to do since we got married. We had our first rehearsal tonight and as we drove home I thought about how we almost didn't do it. Why? Because it takes a lot of time. It takes gas to drive. We have kids. We're old. Maybe we aren't good actors anymore. I still have a little baby weight on me (from the past 5 freaking kids). So many reasons to not do it.

But, it is time to look past all the reasons to not do things that I've always wanted to do and just dive in. We are going to have so much fun. I can't wait to post pictures and tell you stories about our exciting chance to perform together. (Just wait until I tell you what play we are in... you are all going to love it!)

I have so many things I plan to just dive in and go for. I'm going to make this the year when I stop giving myself reasons to not try and I start looking for the reason I should give it a whirl. I'm going to stop forcing myself to do things that make me miserable because I don't want to waste a single moment on misery. I'm going to find the fun, no matter how crappy the situation is. I'm going to keep surrounding myself with people who are interested in lifting each other up and I'm going to be okay when someone isn't a perfect fit for friendship and be satisfied with a wave. I'm not going to stop drinking Mountain Dew, but I will work on portion control... unless I feel stabby. Then I am drinking all the Dew. I'm going to hug my kids every day so they become huggier than I am. I am not eating squirrel however. There is never a day that needs to be seized that bad. Sam is on his own with that one. But, I am going to make the most of each day and hopefully bring the herd along for the ride.

I may even watch Newsies.



P.S. One more things for you to watch. This song inspired me for the year too. I can't stop singing it.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the second video! Totally cut my hair recently... not THAT short, but it was big for me because I wanted it even though my sweet other half doesn't like short hair. Feel 30 and flirty. I love your theme and hope you move this way! I'd love to be your friend that builds you up and has tons of fun :-P

    ReplyDelete