Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Witnessing Someone Getting Back on the Horse

Today I had an unexpected, but very powerful experience.

I have a friend, really, we have a friend who asked Sam to help with something today. I happened to have an errand that dovetailed nicely with the project he was doing, so I decided to tag along. When we got where we were going, I realized almost immediately what was happening.

One of our friends was going to get back on the horse.

Now, if you are familiar with that phrase, you know that getting back on the horse means you had a setback or a failure with something and you go back and try again. Well, I think that does not explain my friend's experience even remotely accurately. My friend had an experience that injured them severely and I don't think I am exaggerating when I say their life was in great peril. It took a long time to heal physically and there will be lasting repercussions for years to come. It was a very traumatic experience physically. I would guess mentally and emotionally it was just as traumatic, if not more so.

Knowing this about my friend, I was rather surprised to see them ready to go through the experience again. I mean, I understood. What happened was not the norm and the logical mind knows that. But, honestly, I have had a few crappy dental experiences and I'm in tears with a toothache before every cleaning, so I can't imagine how it must have felt physically and emotionally to step up and get ready to climb up on the horse again.

My friend was amazing. My friend was calm, even when the pressure was on. My friend totally faced down a giant that I believe most people would not have bothered to face twice (and no one would have judged them for that). My friend went beyond that and didn't just get on the horse, but trotted it around the arena for a bit just to show it who was boss.

It was a pretty wonderful thing to see. I was so proud. I was so impressed. It was one of those moments I wanted to file away to remember for when something is very hard to me. If I can be half as brave as my friend, I will surely succeed.

It made me think of one of my favorite scriptures: Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

My friend was very courageous today. I feel very honored that Sam was asked to be involved in it and that I was allowed to tag along. It is one of those moments I think will be important to me forever.

(And I know, I gave no details at all, but I am posting this more for me to remember than to share with everyone. I know I won't forget the details and I know my friend would rather not share them with people they don't know, so forgive the vague blogging.)

No comments:

Post a Comment