Saturday, August 23, 2014

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I am sure some of you have heard of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

If you haven't, here is a blurb about it from Wikipedia:

The Ice Bucket Challenge, sometimes called the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, is an activity involving dumping a bucket of ice water on one's head to promote awareness of the disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and encourage donations to research. It went viral throughout social media during mid 2014. In the United Kingdom, people also participate in the challenge for the Motor Neurone Disease Association.
The challenge dares nominated participants to be filmed having a bucket of ice water poured on their heads and challenging others to do the same. A common stipulation is that nominated people have 24 hours to comply or forfeit by way of a charitable financial donation.

Now, some people love the challenge and some hate it and some think it is a great fundraising and awareness campaign and some people think it is self congratulatory or whatever.

I didn't really have an opinion on it.

Then, out of nowhere, someone called me out to complete the challenge.

I wasn't sure what to do with it at first. With my Raynauds, it didn't sound like a good idea at all. That whole cold thing that causes me to flare up. But, then I was thinking and the idea to do a funny video with the shower and Sam flushing the toilet on me popped into my head. So, I told Sam that I had been called out. He rolled his eyes over that. Then I told him my idea and he liked it, but then he suggested doing something a bit grander involving the zip line.

And with that, a Saturday night project was born.

So, we got the blessing of Kate and I begged the guides and hookers to come help. Jeff, Kenzie, Michelle and Brady agreed to play along. Sam and I came up with some ideas for the skit before it and then Jeff worked on filming it and how he wanted to do camera angles. (Okay, not quite how you are supposed to do it, but we wanted to do something extra amusing for ourselves.)

It has been rainy and freezing at the zip all week so all the tours were cancelled. This meant we could go for it without getting in anyone's way. Perfect. We hauled the kids up (they were wanting to do it too, but in the end it was too cold and wet and we decided against letting the kids do it) and we got to work.
Sam and Jeff discussing plans.
Sam added some bits that were pretty Will Ferrell. I quite enjoyed them. They will either make you laugh until you cry or give you nightmares.

Once we filmed the stuff at the office, we headed up to line 7.

Me and my giant chin zit. I know better than to poke and prod those things. Sigh.

Kenzie on a test drive.
Me getting ready to hike back up after my test ride.
All of us walking up to the line and Buddy doing something weird.

Sam's butt. Belle got a shot of it because she told me she knows I like it so much.
My kids are awesomely insane.

Me getting ready to get hit with cold frickin' water. I was braking a bit so it wouldn't sting as bad. It still stung.

Jeff nailing me with water.
Me pulling myself in after the water hit me. I am pretty good at hand over handing myself in, but that was so cold, it stopped me in my tracks.

Michelle going in. Jeff missed her! So, she had to go one more time.

Sam's turn.

Yes, he is topless.

Things got a little weird. I loved it.
Nailing Brady.
Kenzie's turn.
Finally hitting Michelle.

After we got soaked, we challenged a few people on film. Sam and I went after our family basically (enjoy).

After that, we took the kids for pizza at the Heise Pizza Parlor because they were cold and had been really patient and other than Xander bursting into tears, they were super good natured about not getting to zip with us. (He really wanted to be hit in the face with water. That kid.)

Yes, I am freezing right now and yes, I did give myself a massive Raynaud's flare. It is okay, I will feel fine by morning. Worth it for a little fun.

So, now Jeff is editing our film and we are hoping it all turned out because we really aren't doing that again. When we have the finished product, I will post a link here.

I know this may be a silly or dumb thing to some of you, and it probably is. But, for us it was just a chance to do something fun and be creative and that is our favorite thing to do!

Life is never boring around here.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see it--I bet it's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete